Sustainable agriculture has the overall objective of preserving the environmental resources and favours the use of renewable inputs. The general questions to be addressed are the following:
- • Soil fertility/soil loss – how is soil fertility maintained, is soil erosion an issue?
- • Water – Is total water use for irrigation known? How is irrigation amount calculated? Is the water source for irrigation sustainable? Are the impacts of fertilisers and pesticides considered?
- • Biodiversity – Are there natural habitats on farm? Are rare species of plant/animal threatened by growing the crop?
- • Energy – Are the major energy inputs known? How can their impact on climate change be reduced?
- • Waste – Are the principles reduce, reuse, recycle, dispose understood? Are pesticides/fertilisers disposed of safely?