Achieving industry consensus on LCA methodology by end 2013.....is the focus of the SAI Platform Sustainable Beef Working Group – Read on to fully appreciate the extent of our work programme for this year and the steps we are taking to achieve this.
As an important source of protein for many of the world’s population, the global desire for beef is increasing. With global populations expected to peak at more than nine billion by 2050,so to will the demand for beef and meat products.
Beef production today is a very diverse and complex business with stringent supply criteria. Beef producers need to have a wide understanding of many factors if they wish to build and maintain a successful, sustainable business. These include, but are not limited to:
- soil and pasture management;
- maintenance of biodiversity;
- water use efficiency ;
- understanding of and reduction of GHG emissions
- efficient use of inputs such as fuel and chemicals;
- animal welfare;
- accurate and effective management and business;
- links with the local community.
It is with an aim to help the food industry and its suppliers meet the above-mentioned challenges that SAI Platform launched a Working Group on Sustainable Beef Production early 2011.
The first tasks of the group are the following:
- Undertake a desktop review on GHG emissions from the beef sector with particular reference to the EU situation.
- Develop position /discussion papers related to climate change and the beef sector. For example, sequestration and allocation challenges in LCA methodology.
- Develop resources for members that assist them in managing the release of the forthcoming FAO report – Q and A’s and standard press releases related to the FAO report.
- Work towards consensus with regard the methodology for calculating the GHG emissions from the beef sector.
- Engage and benefit from the Sustainable Livestock Production initiative launched in the USA.
Access to a more detailed summary of the working group structure and operational mandate can be found in the following pdf document.
The SAI Platform Beef Group has established links with the Global Roundtable for Sustainable Beef and has a respected voice in the initiative.
Members of the Working Group on Beef are the following: ABP, Board Bia, Dawn Meats, EBLEX, Inalca, Livestock & Meat Commission (LMC) for Northern Ireland, McDonald's, McKey Food Services, Nestle, OSI Food Solutions, Quality Meat Scotland, Unilever and Vion. Keith Kenny, McDonald's Europe, is the Chair with Karl Williams of FAI Farms as Vice-Chair.